E1 and E2 Visas
E visas and US work visas are for people who are entering the U.S. for work in trade or in investment in services or activities. These visas can only be issued to countries where there is a treaty with the overseas national’s country and the USA.
There are two types of E visas:
(E-2) TREATY INVESTOR, SPOUSE AND CHILDREN
Any overseas national, with accompanying or following partner or child, who wants to enter the U.S. in accordance with the provisions of a treaty of commerce and navigation b/w the United States and the alien’s nation, to manage an enterprise, in which he or she has invested, or is investing, capital.
- The foreign must be a overseas national, whose country has an appropriate treaty with the United States.
- The enterprise must have “substantial trade” with the U.S.
- At least fifty percent of the enterprise has to be owned by his country’s nationals.
- The alien has to demonstrate a “substantial investment” in the enterprise.
Nationals of the following countries are eligible for E-2 status:
Initial Stay: 1 year.
Extension of Stay: 1 year.
- OF-156E: Nonimmigrant Visa Application, or
- I-129: Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, with E supplement.
- If represented by an attorney include G-28: Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative
OTHER DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENTS
- Valid passport for at least 6 months.
- Letter from employer (or investor or trader) describing nature of business, position to be filled by alien, and alien’s satisfying eligibility requirements.
- Documents supporting employer’s and alien’s claims.