Self-Employed Persons Visa
The Self-Employed Persons scheme allows candidates with pertinent knowledge in culture, athletics or farm management to immigrate to Canada provided that they make a important contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada or purchase and manage a farm in Canada.
In order to be eligible under this scheme, you must have a minimum of 2 years of experience in one of the relevant activities of culture, athletics or farm management. These 2 years of experience must have been gained during the period beginning 5 years before the date of your application for a permanent resident visa and ending on the day a determination is made on your application.
The Self-Employed Persons Program seeks to attract applicants who have the intention and ability to become self-employed in Canada. Self-employed persons are required to have either:
- Relevant experience that will make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada or
- Experience in farm management and the intention and ability to purchase and manage a farm in Canada.
To be eligible as a self-employed person, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have relevant experience
- Meet the selection criteria for self-employed persons and
- Meet medical, security and other requirements
Your application will be processed at the visa office where you applied.
The process may differ depending on the visa office; though some processing steps are common to all offices.
- The application assessment process
- Processing time
- Medical examinations
- Criminal and security checks
- The decision on your application
- Change of address
- Confirmation of permanent residence