Last Remaining Relative Visa:
This visa is for those people only near relatives are usually resident in Australia and are Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens. This visa requires you to be sponsored by an eligible relative in Australia.
Who Can Apply For This Visa?
This visa is for you if both of these apply:
- you have a brother, sister, parent (or step-equivalent) who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia
- You and your partner have no brothers, sisters, children, parents (or step-equivalents) other than those in Australia.
Your partner and other family members may be included in your application if they meet certain requirements.
Here is an application charge for this visa. This will typically not be refunded if your application is unsuccessful, or if you decide to withdraw your application after you have lodged it. A second visa application charge is also required before the visa is granted.
What Can I Do After Getting This Visa?
If you’ve get this visa then you and your eligible family members can live in Australia as Australian permanent residents.
You can also:
- work and study in Australia
- receive subsidized healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
- access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
- be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
- Sponsor people for permanent residence (subject to waiting periods and visa specific restrictions).
This Section will give you information about the requirements that must be met to support a visa application.
If this visa is granted the following requirements must be met.
Applicant and family members
The applicant and any supplementary family members must obey with all Australian laws as permanent residents.
Your sponsor must continue to assist the applicant (and their family) settle in Australia by providing:
- monetary assistance
For this visa, the sponsor must obey with these obligations for two years from the date the visa is granted.
Assurer of Support
The assurer must:
- provide financial support to the applicant (and their family) so they do not have to rely on any government forms of support
- pay back the Australian Government for any recoverable social security payments made by Centrelink to the candidate and any others covered by the Assurance of Support
- Pay a refundable bond when the visa is granted.
For this visa, the Assurer of Support must comply with these obligations for two years from the date the visa is granted.
See: Assurance of Support